"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

3/5/09

Wednesday Fun

Yesterday was a very very nice day indeed. Doug jury rigged the furnace so we could have heat without burning down the house. Requires a bit of effort on our part to turn it off and on, but it's easier than going outside and digging through the frozen snow to find some firewood for the wood stove. Life's conveniences. We need them.

The sun was shining. There was intensely blue sky and fluffy white clouds. It was warm-well, warm to us who live here. At this time of year 47F degrees is a veritable hot spell. The Parkarosa bird buffet was well attended. All kinds of birds were chowing down.

In the morning I went to my weekly knit group meeting. There was way more laughter than knitting going on, but that made it extra fun. I unknit the last few rows I had knitted before at another meeting on my Kimono jacket. I have found that even if I take something that requires almost no thinking to a knit group I can screw it up. In this case, I knit 6 rows before I remembered that I was supposed to start decreasing- six rows back. Got it all squared away despite the weak attempts by Judy and Gloria at making me screw it up again. (Ha! My knitting fu is strong this week!)

I had lunch at Carl's Junior. Their Six Dollar Burger that isn't $6 is pretty darn good. I enjoyed it. It has bread and butter pickles on it, instead of dills. I found myself extremely pleased by that.

After lunch was the March Knitwits meeting. Oh what fun! Again more laughter than knitting. But I did get a few more rows done on the jacket-and they're right! I don't have to tink them. Hurray!! We acquired a few more new folks to the club. That is exciting because for the last couple years membership was declining. Looks like that trend has reversed. We've added new members every month this year so far.

Someone has donated 4 huge boxes of old knitting and crochet patterns to the group. We could pick out and have anything we wanted. Items being fought over went to the winner of the fight. I saw Workbasket magazines from the '40s and '50s, doily patterns from the '30s. Old Bernat knitting patterns and even found a real treasure there. It was very very tempting to load them all up in my car and take them home. But I exercised restraint. The feeding frenzy was fun to participate in though. Heh heh.

The real treasure was a Mcalls Needework magazine from the 60's. When my mother-in-law passed away I inherited all her knitting 'stuff'. One of the things in her pattern stash was a xerox copy of a lovely little aran style jacket and bonnet for baby. I have used that pattern many times to make the jacket as a gift for coming babies. Now I have the original magazine the pattern is in! Hooray!!! That is all I took for me.

I picked out a few of the older crochet magazines to give to my daughter, Sarah, too because she is very much into crochet right now and I want to encourage that as much as possible. I found a few ancient issues of Annie's Attic Crochet Newsletter, and some other now long gone Crochet magazines. I hope she likes them.

This morning I have what, hopefully, will be the last session of the sock class I've been teaching. It's not that I want the class to end cos I'm tired of it. No no. It's because the student has been having a hard time wrapping her mind around the concepts so we've had to add an extra session. I want her to leave today knowing what she's doing! However, I expect we'll need to add one more session after today. That's okay though. Gives me another excuse to not be home so I can't do the laundry.

Furnace Guy is coming this afternoon to see if he can figure out what is wrong with ours. I hope it's something fairly simple to fix, or replace. I really don't want to have to buy a new furnace right now.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment